Friday, March 14, 2008

Recipe Recommendation

I made this soup for a party tonight and received tons of compliments and requests for the recipe. Thanks Mom! This is one of my favorites that she makes...


White Chili

1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp crushed coriander seeds
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
2 (15 oz) cans white beans (northern or canellini) drained and rinsed
Juice of 1 lime
1 TBS olive oil
1 pound chicken breast, diced
3 Shallots, peeled and chopped
3-4 tomatillos, chipped and sauteed
1 (7 oz) can diced green chilies
1 (14 oz) can tomatoes, chopped or diced
1 (10 1/2 oz) can low sodium chicken broth


*** to make it faster.... I forget the shallots, tomatillos, and green chilies and just get a jar of Salsa Verde (7-12 oz). Be sure to get "Mild". (In this case you'd forget the olive oil.)
*** Also, to make it faster, I usually buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store.


Toppings:

red onion
cilantro
Avocado
shredded jack cheese
lime wedges
sour cream
tortilla chips

Pretty self-explanatory. Just put everything in the pot and simmer. Make it a couple hours early if you can, the flavors blend together really well. Personal touch: Growing up my mom would blend the salsa verde, tomatoes and chicken broth for a more creamy soup and no chunks for us picky children. I think it's best that way. Serve the soup with all the toppings and enjoy! (Perfect for parties--have everyone bring a topping)

No comments: