Sunday, April 25, 2010

C.O.O. of the McGary Family

I went to a leadership retreat and since I was the only non-business person there, my sister helped me come up with a title for myself.

Megan McGary
Chief Operating Officer
The McGary Family

  • CEO (Chief Executive Officer) position is held by my husband, that's the big boss--he's the head of our home. He presides over me, since he's the CEO, and we counsel together about our respective duties.
  • CFO (Chief Financial Officer) is shared between the two of us. He makes the money and we decide together how to use it!
  • I am the COO, chief of the daily operations of our home. I plan schedules and meals, nurture and care for everyone, keep the house comfortable and inviting, make sure everyone's needs are met, and this is my favorite--I have the power to set the mood in our home!
This corporate metaphor sounds really serious, it's not. It's just fun! But it brings up an amazingly important principle to follow in any organization! Businesses and families alike work best when everyone knows their role and does it the best they can. In my experience, harmony is created when husband and wife work together as a team of equals, while respecting each others different stewardships. My husband and I decided early on (even when it wasn't financially "smart" to do so) that we would have clearly stated roles in our marriage and family. I've said it before, my husband makes the living and I make life worth living. We still help each other out, give feedback, and are jointly involved in big decisions, but ultimately we each recognize that the other has a greater capacity for intuition and decision making in their own area. Neither of us are perfect at what we do! In fact, there are many times when I think Kim should be the stay-at-home parent instead of me because he's naturally so good at it! But the greatest thing about this system is we are both stretched and forced to grow. Because I clearly know my role in life, I focus all my talents, knowledge and thoughts toward that. I relate everything I learn to how it affects me in my stewardship as wife, mother and homemaker. (As the C.O.O.!)

Below is my first personal mission statement. (We are working on our family and personal mission statements right now because clearly and specifically defining your purpose is a POWERFUL thing.)

As Chief Operating Officer of the McGary Family, each day I create an environment of excellence in which our family thrives. With passion and love, I provide for the physical, spiritual and emotional needs of my family. I am boldly committed to being a role model of critical values and principles in order to create a firm foundation for my children to stand on.

1 comment:

Tanya Leigh said...

I have always "meant to" define our roles more like that - I really like the way you put it. I think it would really help motivate me at those times when I really don't feel like performing a few of those pesky "operations".

Thanks!