
Two nights ago, I had fixed a great dinner, the house was clean and Abigail was well slept, fed and in a particularly good mood. Kim came home from dinner, and said to me "I'm so glad I go to work for you everyday!"
That's exactly what I've been going for! All I want is to be a stay-at-home mom to our kids. But I want to do my part. I want to work equally as hard as my husband, creating value for him as much as he's creating the valuable situation of me staying at home. I think sometimes stay-at-home mom's get caught up in their free time activities instead of doing the work that they have been set up by their husbands to do. We shop and lunch out and focus on those things instead of focusing on creating an atmosphere in our homes for our families to thrive in. Don't get me wrong, social activities are a must when you find yourself talking baby talk all day long, but how often? And do they come before our duties at home? Our husbands work hard for us out in the real world so we can have the luxury (and it is a luxury these days) of staying home and raising our children. Are we showing him how much we appreciate him by making our homes a haven from the world? Can our husbands and children relax, feel comfortable and enjoy themselves after a day at the office or school? Or are we rushing home from the mall at 5:00 just in time to throw something in the microwave? We have a job to do. It's not always glitz, glamour and fun, fun, fun but it's important and it makes a difference.
I've been thinking so much lately about the object lesson with the rocks and the pebbles. If you put all of the pebbles in the jar first, you don't have room for the rocks. But when you put the rocks in first, the pebbles all fit into the cracks. In this example the rocks represent the things in our life like homemaking tasks and the pebbles represent things like play group with the gals. When we put our emphasis on the important rocks, we find that we have more than enough time for the fun pebbles.
Thank you for reading. I hope I expressed my thoughts the way I felt them in my heart and didn't offend (too many) people. :) I've had so many reservations knowing that this topic can be a touchy subject because there are many opinions out there. I don't claim to know what's best for everyone, only what I feel has been valuable to me in my life, right now.
3 comments:
I'm sad to see no one else has commented on this entry. Megan, you hit the nail on the head and it's refreshing to hear someone have the guts to say it out loud. I am not the person to look to for an example, however, since I probably spend too much time playing and not enough time homemaking. But lately I've been wondering where to draw the line and I appreciate you helping me refocus a little. You're a great mom and a good example. It reminds me a lot of Sister Beck's stance on homemaking and being the "Mother Who Knows". Thanks.
I agree! at church on sunday one of the ladies made a comment that really made sense. She said we need to take good care of our husbands, because they are working for us and our families. That they should come first! I love my kids so much and a lot of the time I put them first. I am working on doing more for matt and putting him first and all the rest will fall into place! Another great thing is that the visiting teaching message this month is that man and women together are ordained of god! I love it. A great suggestion by my visiting teacher was to have a journal for you and your spouse to write little notes to each other to read. To write in it randomly. example... Matt I love you so much thank you for working for us everyday or wow you look hot today:) Not only to keep the excitement and romance alive but also to let each other know that they are appreciated. I know matt loves to come home to a clean house so he can relax! I love to have it clean for him when he comes home it makes me feel good to do something for him!
Looooooove this!! Thank you.
Post a Comment