Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Shout Out To My Mama and Daddy!

This week was my parent's anniversary and they have been married for 30 years! I want to give a shout out to them because staying married for 30 years is not the norm these days and it takes a lot of work! No matter who you are, things get tough in a marriage. Marriage and a family are strong ties and I respect people who value those ties and don't let selfish feelings or petty mistakes become "deal-breakers". I have no idea of any of the struggles my parents may have gone through, but since they are humans, I know they had plenty and they obviously never gave up! They loved each other--no matter if they were feeling butterflies or not--by working to have a life and family together. This is TRUE LOVE.

These are a few things I think it takes to make a marriage last 30 years:
Service
Patience
Forgiveness
Humility
Hard Work

I love that my mom cooks dinners just because my dad likes them. And I love that my dad always reminds my mom to treat herself to something just for her. I love that they are empty nesters enjoying their new life with just each other. Now imagine... What if at one point they both had decided to give up? Where would each of them be now? Lonely, having to share time with their kids and grandkids, one of them would be poor... Isn't it amazing to look back at 30 years of growth and accomplishment?! I love even looking back two years at all Kim and I have been through. It's incredibly fulfilling!

My mom and dad raised me up good and I look up to them both in every way! I am so grateful that I came from a solid home that continues to be an example to me of a strong and solid marriage.

No comments: