Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Self Sufficiency

One of the most empowering things in life is to be self-sufficient. As mothers, we rear our children in a way that will produce a self-sufficient teen and adult. We want them to make their own choices and decisions based on the good things we've taught them. We also want them to be physically self-sufficient so they are able to provide for themselves and a future family. The more self sufficient, the better! I want to talk about the physical aspect...

Part of being physically self-sufficient is having savings. Money set aside for an emergency. By doing this we are taking care of ourselves, not letting a mystical credit card or welfare provide for us when we're in need. We can also be available to help others if we choose.

Another part is having an ample supply of food in our homes. Food storage simplifies weekly meal planning and grocery shopping, saves money and allows us to provide for ourselves in the case of any life event. And of course we can be a blessing to others!

My goal is to be as self-sufficient as possible.

I dream of 10 acres with a garden, a green house, fruit trees, a well and a windmill! Aside from that being just gorgeous to live on and FUN, I want to feel the security and confidence that comes from self-sufficiency. We rely so much on others in this day and age--grocery stores, power company, water company, gas station... Wouldn't it feel amazing to not have to rely on others for your sustenance?

With the small resources we have, we're working hard to make this dream a reality for our family. I can't imagine the peace a father would feel knowing his family is taken care of no matter what. As a wife, I understand a portion of that and want to do all I can to make it possible.

Self-sufficiency is one of the greatest principles we can follow in this life. Coming up I've got an awesome book to will help you become more self-sufficient...(this post was going to be about that but I got carried away and now it's too long!) Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree as you know... you'll get it and I can't wait to see!!!