(Chicago, 2011-John and Missy Butcher's condo)
In the morning I had to go get my dress re-fitted. Then I arrived early and decorated for my own wedding. Yeah, you can imagine that I would do that, right? FUN! Then I went to the honey moon suite and got ready for my wedding day all by myself. I did my own hair and make up, put my dress on, and walked back up to the lodge to meet my groom. We took pictures before the event, so I spoiled that whole thing where the groom is not supposed to see the bride before the wedding. There were pots of tulips that my mom insisted we have on the walk way--they were beautiful and perfect! The sun was in everybody's eyes! Jace and Dane were just babies! They were so cute as ring bearers. Adam played the guitar and made us a cute wedding video, we had yummy food and cake (made by my Aunt Barb), enjoyed friends and family and gave away our own homemade "Livin' On Love Raw Energy Bars". Greg and I stayed at the Sundance resort that night and then drove to Cedar City the next morning to begin our journey. (A couple weeks later we honeymooned in Mexico, but that's another story! Flying standby, sunburns, walking, and coming home early! haha) We lived in a basement apartment at $400/month. We had one chair in our living room, no kitchen table and our bed was on the floor. I got pregnant right away. And that's how our story began...
I become quite emotional lately when I think about the past 5 years. We started out two kids, in love with big dreams, who became two parents with strong convictions working diligently toward a life we believe in--and we know we were meant for. I can't believe what we've gone through and experienced in 5 short years. I'm in awe of the obvious molding and shaping; the fiery kiln and the beauty of the glaze when we're out. (Repeat over and over...that's life!) What a process life is! How can we ever think we know what's in store for us 5 years down the road?!
My 5 year words of wisdom are: Dream BIG, follow your heart (your gut, the Holy Spirit, whatever you call it), do what you know is right (no matter the cost), and trust in a higher power (who to me are a loving Heavenly Father and the Savior of the entire world, Jesus Christ).
The details of these years are so personal to me. The memories are so vivid. When I see pictures, I immediately find myself back in that space of time, feeling all of the emotions I once felt. I feel like I can relive any moment in the past 5 years if I want to. Sometimes I daydream about the really good ones just for fun! The bad ones I've almost completely forgotten about. It's an unconscious choice to be optimistic and positive, I guess, because I honestly can't even remember some things. We don't learn from the negative moments in our lives anyway, we learn from their silver linings.
Happy 5th Anniversary to my husband and I!

No comments:
Post a Comment