Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Making a HOUSE a HOME

We recently purchased our first home. Woohoo! 

It's an incredible feeling to own your own home.  What I LOVE best about it is that I get to make this home exactly as I want it to be.  I get to decide if it's an inviting home, a simple home, a modern home, a cluttered home, a chaotic home, a happy home, or a clean home, etc. 

My favorite thing is that I get to determine the feeling in this home. You know what I'm talking about... the feeling. What do I feel when I walk into my home? How does it make me feel when I'm in my home all day? How do others feel when they are in my home.  My goal is PEACE.  My home is a haven for myself and my family. When the world is hectic and you never know what you're going to get, in my house I always know what I'm going to get.  My home is comfortable, inspiring and happy--these things bring me peace. I HOPE that others will experience some of that when they come here.

A few days after we moved in, we had a special family night where we all dressed up fancy. (I wish I would have had someone to take our picture that night!) Mr. McGary dedicated our house and made it a home.  We made a list of what we want our home to be like and what we hope to accomplish by having this home.  It was a special night and I can honestly say I do feel that peace I was hoping for!


Notice: I keep saying MY home.  Interestingly, as the homemaker and housewife here, I really do feel that this home is MY responsibility.  I determine this feeling we talked about earlier; I determine what the house looks like; I prepare the food; I'm responsible for the cleanliness of the home; I train the children who speak (or yell) in this home.  This is my stewardship and THIS HOME WILL BE WHATEVER I MAKE IT. End of story. That's the power we have as wives and mothers.  Weighty, isn't it? But it's amazing!

No comments: