Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Food Nanny

I had the fun opportunity to see the Food Nanny, Liz Edmunds, speak! She has a reality TV show on KBYU and a cook book called The Food Nanny Rescues Dinner. I enjoyed learning from her time-tested experience in creating successful, home-cooked dinners.
This woman is passionate about family dinner time! As am I. Most of us know the importance of consistent family dinners. A few benefits are that we get to connect with our family, have some enjoyment after a long day, and teach our children manners and healthy eating habits. What I love best is that our children will learn to talk with each other! Hearing one anothers opinions and sharing their own, plus knowing what the others are up to and learning from each other. (This is also one of the reasons my children share a room.) They will learn to talk and understand one another so they can be involved in each others' lives and ultimately be each others' best friends!

"Our surveys have consistently found that the more often children have dinners with their parents, the less likely they are to smoke, drink or use drugs, and that parental engagement fostered around the dinner table is one of the most potent tools to help parents raise healthy, drug-free children." -Joseph Califano, Columbia University


My favorite things about her book are her simple bread recipes and her "theme" nights.  Greg and I sat down and decided on theme nights for our family. (they are very similar to The Food Nanny's themes)


Monday COMFORT FOOD
Monday is the hardest day of the week! We all need some comfort and family time at the end of the day.
Tuesday MEXICAN
When made at home, Mexican is one of the healthiest kinds of food out there.
Wednesday BREAKFAST FOR DINNER
A little mid-week fun for dinner. Who ever has time for great breakfast food in the mornings anyway?
Thursday ITALIAN
Oh the rich flavor of Italian! We had to have that in here somewhere.
Friday PIZZA
Celebrate the week!
Saturday GRILL
This is the day we can grill or make foods from around the world.  It's a day when I can go to the store that very morning and get special ingredients for a unique meal if I have time. OR I can throw something on the grill if I don't have much time.
Sunday TRADITIONS
Sundays are usually spent with extended family.  When it's my turn to have everyone over, I'll either make old family recipes or share our favorites with them!


Of course, date nights and leftovers will be substituted, but this base plan will be incredibly helpful. I already tried out Friday Pizza Night! See HERE.

No comments: