Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I tried it!

This is the first of a new series of posts I will be doing. I love to read inspiring blogs of people who create, craft, cook, etc.  I love to get creative and it helps me a bunch to have step-by-step instructions--especially with pictures. So I will be trying out tutorials from other blogs, showing you how it went and rating it on a scale of simple to expert.  I'm going to show you how the average blogger does with these expert tutorials! ;)


So...


OCP (One Charming Party) offers simple instructions for this cake on their site, but I opted to order the entire party plan for $25 so I could have some more detailed instructions and they were well worth it! Plus, the party looks so fun, I can't wait to use all of the ideas in the kit!

My children loved helping me color each layer of the cake.
 This is my set-up. Don't you LOVE the bright and detailed PDF tutorial from OCP? (And I snacked on some apples while I baked. That's a good trick to keep from snitching!)
 This was the time-consuming part. I had two 8-inch pans so I would cook two at a time, wait for them to cool, flip them out onto the wire rack, then wash the pans and cook two more...until all 8 were done.
 This was the best tip I learned: Freeze the cake before you frost it!
 I started frosting... (with my trusty PDF tutorial in the background, of course)
 Somewhere along the way my cake started to tilt. It wasn't too bad, and I had no idea how to fix it! So I just left it and it was fine.
 All done! Doesn't look like much on the outside, does it? (You can see the cardboard still sitting under the cake. On the tutorial, they were frosting it with cardboard underneath but then never told how to get the cardboard out. Their finished product didn't show the cardboard and I didn't know what to do, so mine was displayed cardboard and all!) 
But check out that inside! It was so bright and fun! 
(Also, you can really see the tilting here.)
 Just look at that big old slice, isn't it beautiful!? Oooh, I love it!
Matt's birthday was the perfect occasion for me to try this cake out. I've been wanting to ever since I saw it in all it's rainbow glory on OCP's site.
 
And then, it collapsed. Luckily we had all devoured most of it by then!
And there you have it! I tried the 8-Layer Rainbow Cake from One Charming Party!

Wrap Up:
 I don't have much cake experience and I was able to do this! It was simple to create, but mine didn't turn out perfect, it was tilting! I would definitely make this cake again.
Because I was so concerned with the look of the cake, I opted to use a cake mix and store-bought frosting. Normally, I'm a homemade gal, but the beauty of this cake was worth the trade-off!

3 comments:

LauraP said...

I LOVE that cake! So fun with the bright colors. When I have children I may need to try this for their birthday.... or you can make it for me :)

Miller Time said...

I LoVe it!!!!! So fun!

BookwormMom said...

It turned out so cute!!!! As for the tilting...I think it added to the whimsy of the cake, but if it bugs you or for a different time...take a large bread knife and level off each cake. (the top)

I'm also a homemade girl when it comes to baking...but sometimes a box is the best way to go.